Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Special Metaphor Assignment (Blog Post #14)

Metaphors Blonde Edition

I missed the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post. Honestly, it just flew right over my head. Call me a blonde. However, I understood the other camouflaged messages in the Pencil Integration post. For example, the idea that we, teachers, should focus on solutions and not the problems. Once the major metaphor, pencils were actually computers, was brought to my attention a huge "Ahhh" came out of my mouth. It seems pretty obvious that I should have realized that, especially since all semester we've been learning the importance of computer integration. I've recently been on the prowl for metaphors. I was watching The Little Rascals (best movie of all-time) and Darla said, "You make my heart melt like a popsicle on the fourth of July." Classic! It is one of my favorite quotes. Yes, I realize it is technically a simile but the idea correlates with this project. Today somebody said, "It's raining cats and dogs!" I caught the metaphor. Obviously, it's not raining cats and dogs... This metaphor also reminds me of the Weather Girls' song "It's raining men." I have an extremely funny friend who is always calling out GREAT metaphors about people. He's pretty mean though so I can't appropriately repeat any of his metaphors. To help our students better understand metaphors we should constantly use them. Make a game out of it. The teacher can spit out a metaphor and have the class figure out the real meaning. A metaphor of the day would be cool, too. It would be fun to hear students using the metaphor throughout the day. Practice makes perfect! We use metaphors because they make you think. They can also make things easier to understand. A lot of people don't even realize when they're using a metaphor. Metaphors can help change the way someone thinks. It can help them come to a new idea or way of viewing the world. They're pretty neat once you get the hang of them!
raining cats and dogs title=

No comments:

Post a Comment