Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Blog Post 3

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today
This video was very enlightening. It was also very accurate. I like the way it was filmed also, i.e. in a classroom with real people raising little signs. That was very neat and kept me interested. I thought of two things that were left out: 1. how college effects eating and sleeping habits and 2. how athletes have constant physical strain along with the stress of school work and time management.
However, this video makes a great point about the direction of life that college teaches people to be prepared for. From personal experience, we DO learn outdated information that we won't ever use again. We DO learn in archaic fashions sometimes also, which I believe only hinders how much we can learn in that classroom.

"It's Not About the Technology" by Kelly Hines
Kelly Hines makes a good point! One that I have failed to notice until now. I thought EDM 310's purpose was to make me more technologically literate so I can use technology to have more effective lesson plans. When really, I need to be technologically literate in order to keep up with the 21st century! Hines mentions that teachers need to be learners. If I can't learn about the most recent form of technology that all of my students are using, how can I be teach them effectively?
Hines also says that if a student has not learned no teaching has been done. That's so true! I'll be able to use my 21st century tech-savvy skills to change up HOW the information is taught. This will also help me learn which teaching methods are more effective in different situations because, truthfully, technology IS useless without good teaching. Therefore, being a "21st century teacher" will enable me to be a good, effective teacher.

Karl Fisch: Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
This post also made some very good points. We've been exploring this topic in EDM 310 so far. And ultimately, I think everyone's answer will be no 'No.' I like how Fisch tells people to stop being proud of their "ignorance." If you're technologically illterate, you should try to learn to become LITERATE.
"If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write." We all know how important it is to be able to read in this day. Fisch makes a great point. Reading didn't seem important back then, just like technology seems unimportant to most people now, but we WILL need to be technologically literate in order to be successful.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count
Most importantly, this social media count shows how imperative it is for teachers to be technologically literate! The speed of change today is impressively fast. As educators, we need to be able to keep up with the changing world at the pace of which it's constantly changing.
I uploaded Gary Hayes' Social Media Count to my facebook because I think it's a pretty cool application. It's amazing to think deeper into the statistics than just that minute we see on his app. The growth is exponential! All teachers should be technologically literate to make the greatest impact they can. Here is Gary Hayes' Social Media Count.

2 comments:

  1. "From personal experience, we DO learn outdated information that we won't ever use again. We DO learn in archaic fashions sometimes also, which I believe only hinders how much we can learn in that classroom." So what do we do about it? And what meaning does this have for you in your intended educational career?

    " I need to be technologically literate in order to keep up with the 21st century!" You got it!

    " If I can't learn about the most recent form of technology that all of my students are using, how can I be teach them effectively?" It's not just learning about technology! It's using it!

    Well, after a whole semester two students contended at the end of EDM310 that they did not feel it was necessary for all teachers to be technologically literate!

    The first report I have had of Hayes' counter being added to Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, Jacey
    This is Brittany from your EDM310 class. I also think you have to be technology literate for the future. Just look how fast technology is changing and evolving, its hard for me to keep up. Its cool you put Gary Hayes' Social Media Counts on your blog. When I first seen the counts it made me realize I need to be more involved in social networks and ect.

    ReplyDelete