Monday, February 21, 2011

Blog Post 6

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler-
The theme of this video was neat. However, I don't totally agree with the message it is sending. I do like that the 'connectivist teacher' empowers her students to take control of their learning. I feel like that would really set apart the motivated students from the unmotivated students.
I like how the student shares the information which they've found through bookmarks and blogs. However, a lot of uninformed students can easily be mislead because of the blogs. Blogs are more opinion than fact. But, every teacher has their own opinion so, in a way, teachers teach in biased ways just like a blog can.
Once again, an MP3 player proves to be MVP of technological learning networks. The benefits from having credible recorded courses on your iTunes are endless!
Most importantly, I learned about the networking tools which are necessary to creating a successful learning environment on the web. As a teacher I'll remember to use MP3 programs, bookmarking, and blogging to connect with other scholars around the world. I'll guide my students to use the right tools for learning and I'll teach them how to find and communicate information properly.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)-
This students PLN is similar to mine with links for school work and social networking. But, I have my banks and doctors in addition to my work and play. Personal Learning Networks have proven to be very valuable. I'll definitely use one from here on out as a student and as a teacher. I'll also have my students set up a PLN with sites they'll need for my class and in general. I think a PLN is going to be a great way to empower disabled students with confidence and responsibility and organization skills.

Critiques of Smart Boards
Why Smart boards are a Dumb Initiative by Michael Staton- Staton believes Smart boards aren't enough of an advance in the classroom to be so much more expensive and Smart boards are an administrative cop out. Bill Ferriter wrote the article Why I Hate Interactive White boards. He believes that interactive white boards are too expensive when they don't make much of a difference in lesson plans.
I found this blog http://www.teacherslovesmartboards.com/ to counteract the blog above. It's called Teachers Love Smart boards. The author of this blog just LOVES using animation. He informs us of when animation is appropriate. He also says animation helps engage the students in learning. I disagree. I think animation merely entertains students. In a previous blog post I learned that engaging my students is more important than entertaining my students. The blog I found is not a very good counteracting advocate for Smart boards. But still... pictures are not engaging so I had to share this ridiculous post.

2 comments:

  1. I like the point you make about teachers being biased and teaching in biased ways. It has never occurred to me that the way teachers teach may be biased. Thinking about it now, though, I agree. Some teachers think one method is good and one method is bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacey-Blaire,

    I think the networked student is a great idea if it is implemented correctly. I believe there are both advantages and disadvantages to the idea, but I am willing to try it out. I agree that MP3s are an excellent tool to use to reach students, and I am glad to hear that you love your PLN and will continue using it. I think PLNs are a great way to stay connected with individuals as well as what is going on all over the world. A PLN is definitely organized and can help students keep all their work together. I am not quite sure how I feel about SmartBoards, but I definitely hear both positive and negative things about them. I agree that we should be engaging our students rather than simply entertaining them.

    ReplyDelete